Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Technology and the evolution of BJJ

I expect I'm like many of you out there. After a tough day on the mat, when I can't get a technique to work or a training partner hits the same move on me time and time again, I explore YouTube as soon as I get home. Of course I ask teammate and instructor advice but I always want to dig deep into weaknesses in my game. Technology has made it very simple to see tens or hundreds of techniques quickly, rewinding, breaking each movement down. I've watched hours of instruction and matches online. I realize this can never replace a real class or open mat time but it has greatly improved my game. Things I learn from one night of training followed by an hour of watching videos would take me weeks of training to learn on my own.

I often wonder how Rickson, Rolls, Renzo or other giants of our art would have capitalized on the luxury that technology has given the modern practitioner. Their knowledge of the art is/was beyond my understanding so wouldn't it have helped them even more than me? Footage of old Gracie fights leads me to believe they saw the advantages of reviewing, but what if they had the fights, matches, and instruction from rival gyms at their fingertips? What if they could see the classes being taught by their brothers and cousins at gyms across Brazil and the US in almost real-time? Would BJJ be 50 years more advanced? Would it have changed nothing?  What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment