Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Diversity in BJJ


If we cannot now end our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity.


-John F. Kennedy

There are a lot of things that I love about BJJ. One of the biggest is what I see on the mats. Every time I go to the gym I see men and women from a wide range of backgrounds, faiths (or lack there of), cultures, races, sizes, political affiliations, and personalities. With all that diversity, I've never seen anyone treated poorly.

I've recently read articles about Michael Sam, NFL prospect out of Missouri. Sam could be the first openly gay pro football player. It's a big news story and there are folks who say this could decrease his value. Thinking back, as a young ignorant high school football player I would have been very against having a gay teammate. As a grown man, I see that my beliefs and fears and ignorance should have no bearing on what others do with their lives. My senses tell me that in my gym, and I believe the majority of the BJJ community, most folks agree with me. I truly believe that an openly gay man or woman could come to our gym and roll without fear of being ostracized. That's really saying something, considering that many jiu jitsu techniques put you and your opponent in very intimate positions.

I'm proud of my community and it's inclusiveness. Can't we all just get a roll? What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment